- First, the Task Force will enhance and strengthen systems, programs, and learning in the County of Ventura to ensure we have the best practices to work effectively and leverage differences with all team members, customers and with the community.
- Second, to improve outcomes for community members, deliver culturally responsive services, and maintain successful partnerships with community organizations.
This DITF will ensure that diversity and inclusion efforts are not only in line with each other but are consistent with our organizational objectives. All objectives and activities will be designed to meet specific goals and will be evaluated based on these goals. The DITF will provide recommendations to leadership on policies, programs, trainings, best practices, initiatives and serve as a communication link between all County of Ventura Agencies.
Ventura County is home to one of the nation’s most diverse populations. Diversity factors include geographical communities, socioeconomic status, thinking styles, educational back ground, etc. The County of Ventura’s workforce is reflective of this makeup. It is important for the County of Ventura as an organization to appreciate the significant contribution of its diverse workforce to maximize outcomes for the population it serves.
Task Force Creation:
With the leadership of our Board of Supervisors and support of the CEO, the Diversity and Inclusion Task force was launched in February of 2017. The Task Force is comprised of a diverse and representative group of leaders across our Agencies and also has one community liaison member.
Our Equal Employment Opportunity plans and policies can be found here: https://hr.ventura.org/equal-employment-opportunity. The County of Ventura will follow its EEO policy in recruitment, hiring and promotion into all classifications and with respect to matters of compensation, benefits, transfers, assignments, tours of duty, shifts, layoffs returns from layoff, demotions, terminations, training, education leave, social and recreational programs, and use of County facilities.
D&I Task Force Programs and Activities:
- Developed and now implementing “Developing Cultural Competence and Inclusion” Training for Managers. Developing cultural competency, along with an inclusionary mindset and skillset, is critical for managers to be effective in managing diverse teams. Learn the correlation between a person’s cultural identity and their values and the impact on one’s thinking process as well as on team dynamics. Participants learn the skills to handle a “gateway event”, which is an event that is initially negative and excluding. When handled properly, challenging interactions can be transformed into better working relationships with increased understanding and less tension. The online version of this class is NOW AVAILABLE to all County Employees.
- Method for welcoming ideas from all workforce members and community stakeholders. The purpose of this form is to allow County employees and stakeholders to submit ideas to the Diversity and Inclusion Task Force (DITF) on how to improve diversity and inclusion efforts within the County of Ventura. Your ideas and suggestions will be shared with the DITF for review and discussion. Any workforce member or community stakeholder who has an idea for the Task Force to consider implementing may fill out and submit this form:
- Mentor Program. Mentor programs are a best practice for Diversity and Inclusion in organizations.
- Reading and Resource Links (County Intranet Only)
- LinkedIn Learning Courses on Diversity and Inclusion